Travel Insurance FAQs

What is a single trip policy?

It's a policy which covers you for the duration of one trip. You need to tell the insurer the number of days you're going away for, and you will be insured during that time.

What is an annual policy?

An annual or multi-trip policy covers you for a 12-month period of travel. If you're planning on taking a number of trips within 365 days, getting an annual policy can be a cost-effective way of getting insurance. There are usually limitations on the maximum length of trip that can be taken , often 31 days, but this does vary by insurer so you should check the policy details before you buy if this is an issue for you.

What is backpacker insurance?

Backpacker insurance will cover you for longer trips, for example, if you're taking a year out to travel. These will often include the option to include sports and adventure cover

Am I covered for different sporting activities?

You'll need to check the terms and conditions of a policy to see what is covered under it. Many standard policies either don't cover sports activities or have specific exclusions, although some insurers are able to include requested activities if requested. It should be noted that any such activities would only be covered if provided by registered licensed companies. For w winter sports you will need to stipulate that this is required at the time you generate your quotes and there are many insurers who provide this extra cover.

Are my family covered under my policy?

If you're going away with your family, you may need to buy a family policy. You'll be asked if you're travelling with your family when you fill in our online quote form, so any quotes returned will include them.

I'm over 65. Can I get cover?

Yes, there are many insurers that provide cover for those over 65 and depending on your health, you should be able to obtain quotations right through your 70s, 80s and 90s. You'll be asked for your date of birth when you fill in our online quote form, and the quotes returned will be specific to your age and any declared medical conditions..

Will my policy cover me for a business trip?

You'll usually need to specify that you require business cover if you're going on a business trip, for items not usually covered under a standard policy.

I'm going on a cruise, will I be covered?

You won't usually be fully covered under a standard policy, but going on a cruise is a popular holiday for which insurance is widely available for. When you request quotes, be sure to specify that you require cruise cover in order to only receive quotes from insurers who provide such policies.

Are there any limitations on how long I can go away for?

This depends on what kind of policy you buy. A single trip policy will cover you for the length of your trip which can be for many months, whereas there will usually be limits, often 31 days under an annual policy (some policies will give you up to 90 days). Check the policy documentation before you buy to make sure this covers what you need.

What is an excess?

An excess is your contribution towards the cost of a claim. If you make a claim for £1000 and your excess is £100, you will receive £900 from your insurance company. You can usually select how much excess you wish to be applied and typically, the greater the excess chosen, the cheaper the policy will cost.

What is a pre-existing medical condition?

This is a medical condition or illness you already have, or have previously had You must declare any such conditions or illnesses when requesting your quotations. Failure to disclose information about any condition may lead to your policy being invalidated. If you use Compare Cover to obtain quotes, you can disclose all medical conditions on-line. If you're unsure about which conditions you should or shouldn't disclose, it's better to be safe than sorry and disclose the condition!

Will a pre-existing medical condition affect my insurance?

If you already have a medical condition and don't tell your insurance company about it, your policy may be invalid meaning you won't be covered should you need medical treatment while you're away. The severity of the condition as considered by the insurers will have a bearing and may increase the premium.

How do I make a claim on my policy?

In case you need to make a claim while you are away, your insurer will provide you with a 24-hour phone number you can use to contact them. They'll then advise you what information they need from you, and offer help if it's needed, for example in a medical emergency.

If you don't need to make a claim until you get home, you just need to contact your insurer and request a claim form, or they may ask you to use their online claims service.

Your policy documentation will have information about how to make a claim.

What is an EHIC and do I need one?

A European Health Insurance Card gives you access to state provided medical care in member countries of the European Economic Area (EEA). You'll get the same treatment as residents in those countries, but unlike the UK, it isn't always free. This means you may be asked to contribute a portion of, or all of the costs of any medical treatment you undergo.

You should get an EHIC before you travel. It can be a condition of getting cover under some policies, so make sure you check the terms and conditions.

You should also be aware that many countries, Spain included, also have private healthcare services, the use of which wouldn't be covered by your EHIC. If you're unfortunate enough to need a ride to the hospital, you may find yourself in a private ambulance. Check with your insurer that, should you find yourself being treated privately, this may be covered by your travel insurance policy.


Get travel quotes in minutes!

Latest News Articles