Additional Travel Cover

Winter sports

Taking to the piste in Andorra? Or maybe snowboarding in Whistler, Canada has taken your fancy. Whatever your winter sporting pleasure, you need to make sure you're covered in case you injure yourself or lose a ski in a pine forest.

Standard travel insurance policies usually exclude winter sports cover, so getting yourself a winter sports policy means you could be covered for activities like snow mobiling and tobogganing, as well as skiing and ice skating. To ensure your activity is covered you may need to check the details of the policy or contact the insurer for confirmation.

As well as the usual medical, cancellation and lost/damaged baggage cover, winter sports insurance may include:

  • Travel disruption and weather-related issues
  • Ski equipment
  • Ski passes
  • Costs of ski lessons (if you get injured and can't attend)
  • Equipment hire

Remember to check the policy terms and conditions to make sure you have all the cover you need for your break. For more information on ski insurance, read our 'Compare Ski Insurance Quotes' guide

Adventure sports

For those of us who like the feeling of adrenaline rushing through their body as they throw themselves out of an aeroplane or hang off a cliff face, specialist adventure sports cover is a must. The riskier an activity is, the less the chance that it will be covered under a standard travel insurance policy. Even bumping over the waves on a jet ski may be excluded, so when you get your quotes back, it's important to check your planned holiday activities against those covered in each policy.

This kind of policy is going to cost more too, as there's a much higher chance of getting injured than if you're sat by a pool in the Caribbean reading the latest Jilly Cooper. Using Compare Cover for travel insurance comparison could save you money which would be better spent on post adrenaline rush beverages. Don't forget though, your insurance is unlikely to cover any alcohol or drug related injuries!

Additional Travel Cover
Business cover

Business cover

Being away from your family, spending nights in unfamiliar hotels while working long hours is a taxing experience at the best of times. A good business travel policy could help you avoid added stress should you miss a flight or leave your laptop on a train on the way to an important business meeting, by offering cover for items not covered by a standard policy.

Business insurance may also cover:

  • Clothing
  • Travel documents
  • Business equipment, for example phones and laptops
  • Personal belongings
  • Expenses incurred due to travel delay or disruption

If you regularly go away on business, an annual multi-trip policy could be the most suitable and cost effective for your needs - but you should still specify your requirement for business cover and check that the countries you plan to visit are covered by the policy before taking it out.

Cruise insurance

A cruise is a unique holiday. One minute you could be setting sail on a beautiful blue ocean, dancing in a ballroom and dining at the Captain's table, the next you may be hunting for bargains in a bustling street market during a port visit. You could visit numerous countries, possibly for longer than your usual two-week holiday, and may try out sports and activities you wouldn't normally find yourself doing.

That adds up to a colourful mix of different cover types you'll need for one trip, which is why cruise cover is usually excluded from standard travel insurance policies.

Cruise insurance can include cover for:

  • Missed shore visits should you be ill or the weather is so bad you can't get off the ship
  • Cabin confinement if you're ill or injured
  • Delayed departure should the ship, for example have mechanical difficulties, or bad weather hamper the beginning of your holiday
  • Having to be flown to hospital from a ship
  • Missed departure if, for example you miss your cruise because your flight is delayed
  • Extended baggage cover, to cover the extra clothes you'll probably need for dressing up in the evening, or taking part in sports and activities, as well as every day wear

Check any quotes you receive, cover you for the activities you're thinking about taking part in on your cruise. If you're over 65, or have a pre-existing medical condition, make sure there are no upper age limits for the policy, and it will cover your medical expenses and needs should you fall ill.

Cover for the over 80s

Despite the fact we're living longer and while age is no reason to stop you enjoying a holiday overseas, many standard travel insurance policies still have an upper age limit.

Some insurers don't offer cover to travellers over 80 as in general they are more likely to make a medical based claim, both before and during their holiday. However, Compare Cover allows you to compare quotes from a number of insurance providers to help you find one who will provide cover for the over 80s.

It's important that you disclose all pre-existing medical conditions you may have, or your insurance policy may not pay out if you have to make a claim.

Travel insurance for students

You've submitted your final assignment for the year, term is about to end, and your thoughts start wandering to your summer holiday. There are decisions to be made, where to go, how to get there, whether you can get away with not buying travel insurance. Take it from us, you're going to wish you'd signed on the dotted line if your iPhone slips out of your hand into the clear blue waters of the Med, or you end up in hospital with food poisoning after dining on a dodgy prawn, you'll wish you took ou travel insurance!

If like most students, you've got to keep a close eye on your finances, it's essential you get the best value for your money when it comes to choosing travel insurance. Here are a few things to consider before you buy your policy:

The length of your trip

If a jaunt to Ayia Napa to let off some steam after your exams is going to be your only holiday this year, then a single trip travel insurance policy may be the right one for you. If you have a few trips planned, or are planning to go away for more than 31 days, then you could save yourself some money by getting an annual policy. Or if you've really got the travel bug and have decided to take a year out globetrotting, backpacker insurance is probably going to be your best option.

Your destination

There's no point in paying for worldwide travel insurance if you're planning on popping over to France to pick grapes or lie on the golden sands of St Tropez watching the rich and famous stroll by. Save money by choosing a policy which just gives you cover in Europe.

And don't forget to take your EHIC (if still valid) or a new UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) with you if you are vacationing in the European Union. It may not be a substitute for a good insurance policy, but it may give you access to the state medical care in the country you are visiting.

Remember, neither an EHIC nor GHIC will cover you for lost luggage, delayed flights, or repatriation back to the UK, to name a few examples. So, travel insurance is still important.

What you're planning on doing when you get there

It's best to check the policy to see exactly what is covered before you roll yourself down a hill in a giant ball or take to the skies behind a speedboat with only a parachute for company.

What you're planning on doing when you get there

It's best to check the policy to see exactly what is covered before you roll yourself down a hill in a giant ball or take to the skies behind a speedboat with only a parachute for company.

Compare travel insurance quotes

Whatever your next trip may involve, at Compare Cover we've made finding and comparing travel insurance quotes quick and easy.

Our online quote form is simple to use, and our travel guides are full of helpful facts and information to answer questions you may have about purchasing the right travel insurance policy for your next trip.

Travel insurance for students

How Brexit could affect your Travel Insurance

On the 1st January 2021, the UK completed its formal separation from the European Union. There are now some changes you should consider before you travel to the EU.

Before the UK's departure from the EU, British citizens could use their European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) to gain access to state-provided healthcare in EU member countries. This EHIC remains valid for travel in the EU until it expires. You can find the expiry date on the front of your card.

Once your EHIC expiry date has passed, you'll be able to replace it with a new Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC).

Just like the EHIC, the new GHIC is free and gives you the right to access state-provided medical care during a temporary stay in the EU. You do not need to apply for a GHIC if you already have a valid EHIC.

Remember a GHIC or EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance.

It will not cover any private medical costs or help towards costs for emergencies such as mountain rescue in ski resorts, being flown back to the UK, or lost or stolen property. The EHIC or GHIC is also not valid for travel on cruise ships.

It's also important to note that unlike the old EHIC which was valid for travel in the EU, extending to non-EU counties Norway, Iceland, Lichtenstein and Switzerland, from the 1st January 2021, both the EHIC and GHIC are only valid for travel to EU member countries.

To find out more about visiting Europe from this date, the government has published a range of guidance and notes


Get travel quotes in minutes!

Latest News Articles